Thursday, August 12, 2010

Okinawa thus far




It's been almost 3 weeks since I move to the beautiful land of Okinawa. My mom came with me for a week to help me move in and it was good to have her here because it was my first time to live by myself in Japan that there were a lot of things I didn't know. I successfully moved in my apt, which is nice and cozy. While my mom was here, we drove around and discovered local stores and restaurants. One sunny day, we stopped by a beach, which is only 10 minutes drive from my apt. I am not gonna lie, the beach, especially the water, is BEAUTIFUL.

Week 1
I attended Japanese seminars. On the first day of the seminar, I had no idea what the speaker was saying because the way he teaches Japanese and the way I learned/taught Japanese were different. Everything kinda went over my head and I got really nervous and scared if I could teach Japanese. At the same time, I was very frustrated because I couldn't answer Japanese grammar questions. I was like "If it were English grammar, I could answer and explain the contradictions." It is because I did not study Japanese; rather, I just learned the language as I grew up. Luckily, the speaker just published a book that I could read and study after the seminars. I believe that if you teach a language, any language, you need to know the language. I thought I wouldn't have to study once I am done with school, but I guess I was wrong. ha! I am really grateful that I attended the seminars that I learned A LOT.

Week 2
I observed Japanese classes for new missionary teachers. One of the former Japanese teachers at my school taught the classes. I was just sitting there observing how he taught and I was able to see a big picture of how I might teach my classes. I was not quite sure how I could apply the methods that I had learned during the seminars, but now I know. We'll see how it works once the school starts.

Week 3
I have new teacher orientations all this week. I got to meet all the new teachers and most of the school staff and teachers. Most of the new teachers are my age so I am hoping that I will be good friends with them. The staff and faculty are super nice that they are always willing to help me and others. I think this is one of the best things about working at a Christian school. I have a lot to know/learn and prepare before school starts on the 23rd. The other good thing about my school is that I can see the beautiful ocean from school.

I would appreciate if you could keep me in your prayers! :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Best of luck! I know you will do great!

Zoomi said...

いよいよお仕事始まったね~! 学校はじまったらまた大変だろうけど、がんばって!!ひとみちゃんならできるわぁ~! 
沖縄出身の友達にひとみちゃんがいる場所のこと聞いたら、とっておいいところよ~と言ってた。 

遊びに行きたいわ~!!!